London to Cape Town by Bicycle Kit List
- Vaude Men’s Lauca ShortsThese quick-drying baggy cycling shorts come with a comfy padded liner.
- Vaude Men’s Taguna Shorts II
- Vaude Men’s Advanced Gloves
- Vaude Men’s Micro Big Fritz III shirtA lightweight quick-drying technical t-shirt for when James is off the bike
- Vaude Men’s Marwick Polo Shirt
- Vaude Men’s Pro Tricot cycling shirt X2These fantastic quality Vaude cycling shirts have been printed with the London2CapeTown and World Bicycle Relief Logos, courtesy of our friends at Involution.
- Vaude Men’s Sympapro Jacket
- Vaude Saranda TR cycling shoesThe Saranda TR shoes are a cross between cycling shoes and sandals.
- Vaude Men’s Fluid Pants II
- Vaude Bike Gaiter short
- Vaude TH Summer Socks Short
- Vaude race socks short
- Vaude Men’s Civetta Pullover
- Vaude Men’s Sesvenna Vest
- Vaude Men’s Seamless LS Shirt
- Snug Bug Hi Rib Beanie, Charcoal
- Oakley Racing Jacket SunglassesI started with the Prizm lenses but they simply transmitted too much light. I ordered the black iridium polarized lenses
- Touring bikesA huge thank you also to Anil Sharma at GMS Leadership for supplying our two London to Cape Town Touring Bikes.
We’ve opted for two top-of-the-range steel-framed touring bikes.
The bikes have the following specification:
Frame: Reynolds 853 butted
Fork: Butted chromoly blades
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra triple
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 10 speed
Number of Gears: 30
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra 30 speed STI
Chainset: Shimano FC-T551
Bottom Bracket: Shimano external bearing
Cassette: Shimano CS-4600-10 12-30T
Pedals: Shimano PD-M505 clipless
Brakeset: Shimano BR-515 disc brakes
Brake Levers: Shimano
Handlebars: FSA Wing Compact, short drop
Stem: NVO alloy
Headset: Alloy 1″1/8 Ahead
Grips: Cork tape with gel
Rims: Alex XT19 double wall alloy with eyelets
Front Hub: Shimano Deore LX 36H
Rear Hub: Shimano Deore LX 36H
Spokes: Stainless steel
Front Tyre: Schwalbe Marathon 700×32c
Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Marathon 700×32c
Seatpost: Alloy micro-adjust
Front rack: Tubus Tara
- Brooks B17 S Aged saddleBrooks has kindly supplied Emily with a Brooks B17 S Aged saddle. This touring saddle should be comfortable from day 1 thanks to the softer leather.
- Brooks B17 Standard saddle
- Hornit 140 decibel Cycle HornWe hope this loud cycling horn will enable us to be heard over sound of the traffic in Istanbul, Cairo and Khartoum.
- MSR Quick 2 Pot Set Cooking Pots
- MSR Quick Skillet
- MSR Whisperlite International multi-fuel stove
- Sea to Summit Delta Cutlery Set x2
- Seat to Summit Ultra-Sil® Kitchen SinkYes, we’re even taking a kitchen sink!
- Sea to Summit X-Mug Collapsible Mugs x2
- Sea to Summit X-Plate Collapsible Plates x2
- Sea to Summit X-Bowl Collapsible Bowls x2
- Poachpod Egg Poacher x2We’re taking Poach Pods to save fuel as we can make tea or wash up with the water we’ve poached the eggs in.
- Washing up sponge
- Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP with guage
- Puncture repair patches
- Crank Brothers m19 toolIncludes spoke wrench and chain tool.
- Chain cleaner and Grease
- Adjustable spanner
- Gaffer tape
- Cable ties
- Misc nuts and bolts
- Ikea big blue bag
- Hand gel
- Insect repellent
- Sun Cream
- Toothbrush x2
- Lip balm - with SPF