London to Cape Town by Bicycle Kit List
- Vaude Ferret XT 3P
- Vaude Floor Protector Ferret XT 3P
- Vaude Cheyenne 200 x2These compact, lightweight down-filled Vaude sleeping bags will keep us warm at night. Emily has the orange, James will have the blue.
- Vaude Venus sleeping mats
- Vaude Silk Inlet MummyThese mummy sleeping bag liners will give us an extra few degrees of warmth.
- Vaude Comfort Towel
- Sea to Summit Exped Air Pillows
- Lifesystems Mosquito Micro Net Double
- Vaude Men’s Lauca ShortsThese quick-drying baggy cycling shorts come with a comfy padded liner.
- Vaude Men’s Taguna Shorts II
- Vaude Men’s Advanced Gloves
- Vaude Men’s Micro Big Fritz III shirtA lightweight quick-drying technical t-shirt for when James is off the bike
- Vaude Men’s Marwick Polo Shirt
- Vaude Men’s Pro Tricot cycling shirt X2These fantastic quality Vaude cycling shirts have been printed with the London2CapeTown and World Bicycle Relief Logos, courtesy of our friends at Involution.
- Vaude Men’s Sympapro Jacket
- Vaude Saranda TR cycling shoesThe Saranda TR shoes are a cross between cycling shoes and sandals.
- Vaude Men’s Fluid Pants II
- Vaude Bike Gaiter short
- Vaude TH Summer Socks Short
- Vaude race socks short
- Vaude Men’s Civetta Pullover
- Vaude Men’s Sesvenna Vest
- Vaude Men’s Seamless LS Shirt
- Snug Bug Hi Rib Beanie, Charcoal
- Oakley Racing Jacket SunglassesI started with the Prizm lenses but they simply transmitted too much light. I ordered the black iridium polarized lenses
- Vaude Women’s Active Gloves
- Vaude race socks short
- Vaude Bike Gaiter short
- Vaude Chronos Gloves
- Vaude Yara TR cycling shoes
- Vaude Women’s Sura LS Shirt III
- Vaude Women’s Livigno Halfzip
- Vaude Women’s Pro Tricot cycling shirt X2These fantastic quality Vaude cycling shirts have been printed with the London2CapeTown and World Bicycle Relief Logos, courtesy of our friends at Involution.
- Vaude Women’s Civetta Pullover
- Vaude Women’s Fluid Full-Zip Waterproof Pants S/S
- Vaude Women’s Farley ZO Pants IV
- Vaude Women’s Siros cycling shorts
- Vaude Women’s Hallett Shirt
- Vaude Women’s Seamless Light LS Shirt
- Women’s Crestone Jacket
- Touring bikesA huge thank you also to Anil Sharma at GMS Leadership for supplying our two London to Cape Town Touring Bikes.
We’ve opted for two top-of-the-range steel-framed touring bikes.
The bikes have the following specification:
Frame: Reynolds 853 butted
Fork: Butted chromoly blades
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra triple
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 10 speed
Number of Gears: 30
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra 30 speed STI
Chainset: Shimano FC-T551
Bottom Bracket: Shimano external bearing
Cassette: Shimano CS-4600-10 12-30T
Pedals: Shimano PD-M505 clipless
Brakeset: Shimano BR-515 disc brakes
Brake Levers: Shimano
Handlebars: FSA Wing Compact, short drop
Stem: NVO alloy
Headset: Alloy 1″1/8 Ahead
Grips: Cork tape with gel
Rims: Alex XT19 double wall alloy with eyelets
Front Hub: Shimano Deore LX 36H
Rear Hub: Shimano Deore LX 36H
Spokes: Stainless steel
Front Tyre: Schwalbe Marathon 700×32c
Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Marathon 700×32c
Seatpost: Alloy micro-adjust
Front rack: Tubus Tara
- Brooks B17 S Aged saddleBrooks has kindly supplied Emily with a Brooks B17 S Aged saddle. This touring saddle should be comfortable from day 1 thanks to the softer leather.
- Brooks B17 Standard saddle
- Hornit 140 decibel Cycle HornWe hope this loud cycling horn will enable us to be heard over sound of the traffic in Istanbul, Cairo and Khartoum.
- CamelBak Octane™ XCT Hydration packs x2We’ll ship the Octane™ XCT hydration packs out to Cairo so we’ll have additional water storage capacity for the remote areas of Egypt, Sudan and Northern Kenya where we’re expecting water supplies to be sparse.
- Sea to Summit TPU Clear Zip Top Pouch with Leak Proof Bottles
- Victorinox Pioneer Alox Swiss Army Knife
- Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil™ Day Pack
- Ortlieb Water Bag 10 Litre x2
- Light my Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0®
- Petzl TIKKA XP head torches x2
- Water-to-Go Water Bottles x2Thanks to Water-to-Go, we have two 75cl Water-to-Go Water Bottles and replacement filters to last the duration of our trip.
- Portable Aluminium Alloy Foldable ChairWe met a couple on the Danube who had a similar style chair to these and they looked far more comfortable than our small camping stools so we bought a couple of these cheaper versions. They are absolutely fantastic and it’s amazing to recline after a long day in the saddle to watch the night sky…with proper back support! Well worth the weight!
- MSR Quick 2 Pot Set Cooking Pots
- MSR Quick Skillet
- MSR Whisperlite International multi-fuel stove
- Sea to Summit Delta Cutlery Set x2
- Seat to Summit Ultra-Sil® Kitchen SinkYes, we’re even taking a kitchen sink!
- Sea to Summit X-Mug Collapsible Mugs x2
- Sea to Summit X-Plate Collapsible Plates x2
- Sea to Summit X-Bowl Collapsible Bowls x2
- Poachpod Egg Poacher x2We’re taking Poach Pods to save fuel as we can make tea or wash up with the water we’ve poached the eggs in.
- Washing up sponge
- Trident Sensors 9603 HX4 Trident GPS Tracker
- Goal Zero Sherpa 100 Power PackWe’re grateful to Goal Zero for supplying us with a Sherpa 100 Power Pack.
- Amazon Kindle Paperwhite e-readers x2As well as books, we’ve loaded instruction manuals, contact lists and other important documents on to our Kindles.
- Samsung M3 Slimline 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drives x2
- 4-Port USB Wall Charger
- Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP with guage
- Puncture repair patches
- Crank Brothers m19 toolIncludes spoke wrench and chain tool.
- Chain cleaner and Grease
- Adjustable spanner
- Gaffer tape
- Cable ties
- Misc nuts and bolts
- Ikea big blue bag
- Hand gel
- Insect repellent
- Sun Cream
- Toothbrush x2
- Lip balm - with SPF